When I created the PlayBag, I wanted it to be as versatile as possible, whereby the only limit was the child’s imagination. Back in 2016 I wrote a blog about the Top Ten Toys to use with a PlayBag, so decided it was time to give it a bit of a fresh look (with a few extras added in!)
We have found that almost any toys can be used as children’s imaginations have no limits. To our adult eyes we may think that as a soft toy is too big to fit in the small cave, it won’t work with the PlayBag, however reality does not have to be an issue with the PlayBag teamed with an imaginative child!
Anyway…. Here are our current list of Top Twelve toys that we enjoy using with our PlayBags. Although this list is in no way exhaustive, it gives you a good idea where to start if you are wondering what to use!
1) Character Toys. You will see many Character toys popping up all over our social media images! We think the PlayBag is a perfect back drop for many of our designs. They are also widely available from toy shops, Disney stores and online. Amongst our favourites are Winnie The Pooh and friends; Kate and Mim Mim; Frozen characters and The Good Dinosaur.
2) PlayMobil. As you can probably tell from our photography, Playmobil is another firm favourite with us. There are so many sets to choose from and they are a perfect size to fully appreciate the caves and paths. Also perfectly suited to Stop Motion animation!
3) Lego. This has to be my favourite all time toy! It has stood the test of time and seems to be universal. Loved by children of all ages. Despite recent criticism that the “kits” inhibit the child’s creativity, I find the opposite. Ok, so you build the kit up. But if you are anything like my family, this soon gets destroyed and mingled in with the other bits and turned into something completely different. And that is the beauty of Lego. It can be whatever you want it to be. This fits in perfectly with The PlayBag ethos of imaginative play. Lego vehicles tend to be a perfect size to fit onto the roads; you can build Lego buildings to populate the area – the possibilities are endless!
4) Sylvanian Families. Again another timeless toy. My daughter collected these when she was younger and reluctantly handed them over to Little Fella when he was at an age when she trusted him to respect them. He loves them. Again, they create wonderful opportunities for imaginative play and animations.
5) Finger Puppets These are perfect for recreating your favourite stories on the PlayBag. We use them quite a lot especially around World Book Day when we create our story animations. One of our favourite sets is the Gruffalo collection.
6) Farm toys. Having a tractor mad son, he has lots of farm animals, fences, trees etc. they all tend to be a good size. He has various tractors of different sizes which have all had a PlayBag adventure or two. And, even if they don’t fit through the tunnels, they can still have a lot of fun towing stuff that gets into trouble!
7) Matchbox or Hot Wheels vehicles. These classic vehicles have been around a long time and are of the perfect size for throwing into the PlayBag for emergency trips.
8) Wooden Train sets and blocks. I’m a big fan of wooden toys. Whether you are a fan of Brio, Viga or other brands, they are a great size for our PlayBags. Wooden blocks also tend to be a hit with all ages, whether they are creating villages or simple towers they are open ended enough to be whatever the child wants again stimulating curiosity and creativity.
9) Holztiger. We do love our Holztiger toys, and although expensive they are instant classics that will last a lifetime.
10) Fairies and magical creatures. Want to create a truly magical scene? There are so many toys out there. Although not particularly toys – maybe more collector figures, but we do love our Schleich figures – lots of magical and mystical creatures to create imaginative worlds with.
11) Dinosaurs. We do have a very random selection of dinosaurs from various sources, but the all seem to fit in well with any of our PlayBag scenes.
12) Any Random assortment! Who says the toys have to fit anyway?? When you watch children playing, they don’t care that a dinosaur doesn’t belong in a farm playset or that the baby rabbit is ten times the size of the Landrover! Some of our favourite PlayBag adventures have included a random selection of mismatched toys!
I hope this gives you some inspiration. Please do leave a comment and let us know what toys are your favourites to use with your PlayBag!